A bit of a drive out west last night to Northmead for the Summer Series event. Truly summer as the outside temperature sensor in the car was reading 41 degrees (celcius!) this also being accented by a strong warm westerly wind. This is a new map based around the upper reaches of the Parramatta River, Westmead Hospital and Parramatta Jail. Some residual stiffness in the glutes from the hill session yesterday morning in walking around but did not seem to restrict the running at all.
For those interested here is a copy of the map and my route marked out. A quick run through teh streets to 7, then down and across the creek to 11, skirting around the back of the jail to 14 in pretty quick time. Slowed the pace down a little in navigating through the buildings but then picked it up again to get to 21. Lost concentration here, being in the right place but forgetting what I was looking for as a security guard from Parramatta Leagues asked me what I was up to. Pretty plain sailing then through 27, 17 and 5 seeing Richard G, another (faster, ie 37 min 10km) Strider. Across the river for 22, already opting to drop 9 and 10 and some fast flat running to 29. From here I got a break with a series of runners popping out coming in the other direction which helped guide me onto a bush path to 30. Another oops at 3, again forgetting what I was looking for. By 16 I knew I was under a little time pressure and opted to miss 4 and go straight to 19 where I again saw Richard. From 25 I decided to go straight to 20 but the various fences meant there was not a good direct route and in hindsight I should have got 12 as well.
More weaving through fences and buildings to finally get clear running again to 28, across to 23 and then back along the river, getting the feet wet at the crossing to get back with 520 points but 3 minutes late to give me 490 net. The highest score was only 540 so a little disappointed that my various slip ups conspired to cost me probably 30 points.
Overall stats 8.6km in 47:16 (avg pace 5:31 and avg HR of 173). Bloody hot day, the second in not so many days so I am drinking water like crazy today.
This morning I did a light recovery run with 2 laps of North Ryde Common for 6.7km in 38:30 (avg 5:45, avg HR 148). I'm going to base my recovery runs around the common as I can pretty much run on grass the whole way, giving the legs a break. Today they felt pretty bashed up, hopefully will pull up ok for a medium long run tomorrow.
2 comments:
Dave I was actually thinking about you doing the summer series yesterday arvo whilst I was out for a quick dash. I spose your outing in Singapore was good conditioning for the weather - very sneaky ;-)
Hoping to get to one of the SS close to chrissy.
yeo... that was HOT!!!! Well done... I was compliaining just out for a run, but racing! Were the numbers smaller??
Post a Comment