Saturday, March 25, 2006

5km hit out

Time for a benchmark measurement after the on/off running of recent times and so headed to the Bay for the monthly Cool Running 5km challenge. A good turn out and around 8 of us in the 20 minute group, including Ray42k, Colin and Professor.

Out pretty fast and I settled into sitting behind the 2 leaders and focussing on my form, trying to remain comfortable and smooth. Missed the first km marker but I think someone called out a 3:46 type time! Through to the 3km mark I stayed with the bunch but drifted off just a little near UTS rowers. Still managed to hold it together in the last km, not losing much distance from the front runners. In the last couple of hundred metres I could hear footsteps coming up on me and the girl who started with us asked where the finish was. I looked around and also saw Professor a metre or so behind and so did a big kick and sprinted for the line!

Quite happy with the end result 19:18, only 3 seconds off my PB from this time last year.

Splits
2km 7:36 7:36
3km 3:52 11:28
4km 3:52 15:20
5km 3:58 19:18

Avg pace 3:51
Avg HR 175

A good tempo run back with Colin (and Mrs Colin) followed by some chit chat before a quick breakfast at Bowen Island :)

3 comments:

Jen said...

Lovely to see you again Dave. Congratulations on the great time, particularly given your recent circumstances. That PB is on very shaky ground :-)

2P said...

Nice one Dave - looking good for Canberra!

As always - great to catch up with you again mate :-)

Anonymous said...

Hehehe..

I'm coming to get ya Dave!

Good luck in Canberra, I'm out - just playing it safe thinking ahead but whould love to be there chasing you...you'll have a great run!

P