Sunday, May 28, 2006

SMC 10km - Race

Out to Smiffo and it was quite cool, a quick catch up with the 25km runners and a good chat with Horrie and vat before opting to try a warm up. Certainly the bashing I gave the legs yesterday was evident and it took a little while to get going, threw in a few stretches as well which seemed to help.

Over for the start of the combined 5km and 10km and a decent crowd. I had already decided today was not a PB tilt option but more aiming for a steady consistent pace, trying not to fade too much which is my usual form.

Kept it fairly steady and soon was running pretty much by myself when the 5km runners turned. I was about 30-50m behind the guy that I have labelled "budgie smugler" as that is all he runs in (plus shoes), a bit cool for that today I thought!

Hit the turnaround in about 21:26 and while it was a press to hold the pace I was not struggling, in fact managed to pick the pace back up before the long climb. Near the 2km mark Ron and Barry were coming back towards me, on their second lap of the 25km course. Ron told me to make sure I beat "budgie" and in fact now I was only about 20m behind him.

At the 1km mark I caught the very relaxed 25km bus with Plu and Bernie sitting in the drivers seat and I set out to try and drag in the 20m to budgie. I was gaining but slowly and as we hit the grass he was still 10m in front, here I decided to engage my withering finishing burst and to my amazement it worked and I went straight past him :). Crossed the line in 42:06 which means a back 5km split of 20:40 giving a negative split of 26 seconds!!

Usually in 10km races my last km is my slowest but today I posted about a 3:50 which was actually the fastest km for the whole race.

Stats
Distance 10km (9.96 by garmin)
Time 42:06
Avg Pace 4:12
Avg HR 175

Splits
1km 4:11 4:11
2km 4:08 8:19
3km 4:19 12:38
4km 4:24 17:02
5km 4:26 21:28
6km 4:09 25:37
7km 4:21 29:58
8km 4:12 34:10
9km 4:12 38:22
Fin 3:44 42:06

Quite pleased overall, certainly the legs had been blunted by the XC yesterday afternoon so to post a 42 was about right. Will be interesting to see how fresher legs perform at Lane Cove next Saturday.

A very hectic week looming workwise but I'll be hard at it to fit in some running.

6 comments:

Jen said...

Good run at SMC today after a tough day yesterday Dave.

So is there any chance of getting you on the bike for the Gong ride this year???

Horrie said...

That was a good run today considering the tough XC you ran yesterday Dave. I was only 12 seconds behind you at halfway and you blitzed me by a minute. Good effort in catching 'The Smuggler'!

2P said...

Nice weekends worth of work Dave - nice job mate ;-)

Anonymous said...

Nemisis,

Good run today Dave... would have loved to have been there myself but a late night out with a lot of idiot firemen followed by a 9am date to lift fridges, lounges etc meant you were flying the flag alone!

I did the CR 5k'er yesterday and the legs still felt beat up from SMH, and I had a shocker...still, I'll try to be hot on your heels come Saturday. Have a good week..

Prof

Anonymous said...

rlewYou know I meant Nemesis...

Bernie G said...

I am glad you beat the "Budgie" with a fast last km.