Sunday, May 07, 2006

Viva!

A travelling post from the sunny climes of Las Vegas! Annual work committments meant I missed both the Striders 10km and ANSW 10km :( so this morning (Saturday) I headed out for a head clearing and leg stretching run. The Garmin took a while to sort out the other side of the world and was not happy about all the tall buildings and glass but eventually got going. I am staying at Caesars Palace but warmed up down to outside Bellagio before getting a signal lock and starting. Here is a Google Earth snapshot with buildings, pretty cool!



So past the Bellagio Lake with Paris and Aladdin on the other side, then up to Monte Carlo and New York New York, MGM across the street. Over a walkway to Excalibur and then Luxor and Mandalay Bay, that was the last of the hotels and all of a sudden pretty much open road. A few km later and Garmin said it was time to turn around and came the same way back. I started at 8:30 local time and it was around 18 degrees C but quite a deal warmer when I got back.

I turned down an offer from one of the guys I work with, they were going to drive out to Death Valley for a run!!

Stats
Distance 10.9km
Time 52:12
Avg Pace 4:47
Avg HR 171

7 comments:

Wobbly man said...

Sounds awesome Dave!. Don't forget to take the camera on the next run!

Superflake said...

Of course they have perfect shots of Downtown Vegas on google. I can't even run to South Head without it going blurry when I get down to 500m. Death Valley sounded interesting.

Jen said...

Say hi to Elvis for me!

TA and the Gnome said...

Wimp! You should've flown the flag and shown them that a real aussie bloke isn't afraid of Death Valley... (glad I'm over here though :-) )

Gnome

2P said...

wooohooo Dave - but pictures, we want pictures!!!!

Tesso said...

Yeah, I agree - pics please.

Hope you're having fun over there. Though gotta say I was a bit disappointed to miss you on the weekend when I was in Sydney. I wanted to check out the mooooustache.

miners said...

Now there's a great garmin map! as with the others, I'd love to see some piccies of the strip :)