Thursday, March 03, 2005

Recovery & physio

Again a steady run down to the weir at LCNP and back, done the 11km in 52:28 (about 2 minutes faster than Tuesday) so an avg pace of 4:51 and avg hr of 155. Certainly felt the efforts of the night before and again noticed little niggles where I have had problems in the past.

Given what has happened to MPHaz in regards to an injury sneaking up on you, and also being slightly paranoid I made a booking with my physio as a precautionary measure. I really wanted him to have a look at my previous core muscle issues and stance etc to catch anything that may have been happening since I saw him last (late last year).

The good news is no obvious problems looming but I still have a dodgy stance, tending to tuck my hips/pelvis too far forward and this reducing the impact of my gluts and hamstrings while also causing adductor problems. He gave me a series of different exercises/activities to focus on. My physio know heaps about running and orienteering (he was in a team that finished ahead of us in the Metrogaine and has also run 6ft) it was well worth the effort to check in with him as I can now focus on some areas as a preventative approach to injury.

Rest day scheduled for Friday and then Striders 10km @ Homebush Saturday morning. This is where my current 10km PB was set and I am quietly confident about breaking that and perhaps also getting very close to 40 minutes. If I can do that now on a pretty heavy training load I will be very happy!

1 comment:

Horrie said...

That was a good idea going to see the physio to make sure everything is in working order, especially with 6 Foot and Canberra being so close.

Did you compare Metrogaine course notes with him? Did he finish 3rd or 4th?