Monday, May 02, 2005

MetrO League

Been a while since I've done any true Orienteering and Sunday was the first race in the Sydney MetrO League series so thought I'd have a bash for a change!

MetrO League is pretty complicated in the way that it works and I'm not in the mood to try and fully describe it. Anyway I'm seeded as the first runner in our team in division 3 which also makes me runner 2 of 30 headed out on this course.

The start is at the ovals just below Pennant Hills and extends through the Lane Cove River Valley in the vicinity. First control was across a river gully and in a group of rocks just off a network of trails. Managed to screw myself up in said network and lost a few minutes realigning myself.

From there it was pretty good, hitting the rest of the controls pretty much bang on. An interesting choice of routes from 3 to 4 which involved some serious bush bashing and climbing at the same time. Then it was faster around the back of netball courts only slowed down by the massive crowds of netballers at some carnival who had set out seats etc on the carefully planned courses!

Really ripped it home catching a guy from Central Coast on the way into control 5 and then really hammering to control 6 and home, putting just about a minute into him in not much distance. It seems quite a few of the earlier runners struggled and this helped the later runners as groups formed so my time while fast was outdone by later runners. However our team still won our match up!!

Only short distance, about 3.5km and it took jusy over 35 minutes, proably should have been low 30's if I had my head on for control #1.

No comments: