Sunday, August 28, 2005

Airport Adrenaline Adventure

After the success of yesterday back to a longer run today and this is the last true "long" run before Sydney. I decided to run with the 6:20 gang, I know the people that run this a bit better than the group from 6:10 today. Also knowing the course being very flat early it would be a good fast work out, famous last words.

Off at a good clip with myself and Sawdust on the front for the first couple of km. Then as we rounded the corner near Cooks River for the long run along Botany Bay the pace picked up. Along here Andrew T, and then Luke Skyrunner and Silver Fox all joined in, not much of a 6:30 group it seems. Not paying a lot of attention to the Garmin but knew we were moving fairly fast.

Finally near Dolls Point a drink stop and I checked the avg pace and it was sub 4:30!! I decided to let them go if this continues but held contact over the river and into Sylvannia, but then let them go. By the time we got to the short cut I was still in contact and we had covered 16km at 4:30 min/km avg pace. The legs were starting to feel either the 5km yesterday or more likely still trying to recover from W2B and while some of the guys were trying to read a map I slipped ahead for a while :).

Out of interest I checked on the Garmin as I went through 21.1 km and it was 97 minutes. That was enough for me as I eased off a little further and got back for 25.5km in a smidge over 2 hours, which gave a avg pace all up of 4:45 min/km and avg HR of 163.

Both calves are again tight, but not painfully tight. Pretty happy with this run, even if I did ease up a little. Now for the all important 2 week taper/sharpen, currently looking for this week like:

Monday - Rest/Witch Doctor
Tuesday - VO2 Max session, 13km including 3 x 1600 @ 5km pace
Wednesday - Recovery 8km
Thursday - Recovery & Speed, 13km with 8 x 100 strides
Friday - Recovery 8km
Saturday - Striders 10km (not sure if I'll "race" this)
Sunday - Fathers Day!! Medium run around 20km

The key question is whether I should go 100% next Saturday for maybe another 10km PB or even (maybe) sub 40 or if I should run it at Marathon Pace (perhaps do the 45 min pacemaking duties)

6 comments:

silverfox said...

Dave

Really nice to catch up again today fella. That was a smart run, in particular after your effort at W2B last week (and what a perfect longest run). It was a pretty willing clip today so to run the majority of it at intended race pace was a solid effort. You should have a good level of confidence going into Sydney, look forward to catching up with you then or maybe before.

Superflake said...

Good run today Dave. Looks good for you at Sydney. Striders 10k only lasts 39:59 just go for it. It's a flat course and won't hurt your legs at all.

Horrie said...

Good to see you out and about and still running in great form after your injury scares. You have run into some great form and are looking the goods for Sydney. I would hold back next week being so close to the marathon. You wouldn't want to undo all the good preparation with too hard a run only a week out from the big show. There are plenty of 10kms ahead but not too many chances to run sub 3:15 marathons.

Spud said...

Sub 40 at NH is tempting, I would go for it if I were you. The body seems to be holding up nicely. Imagine the confidence booster a sub 40 would give you going into Sydney. Just some thoughts, either way great running lately Dave.

Jen said...

Oh what a dilemma - 2 in favour of going for the PB; 1 against. What is a guy to do?

Very glad to hear that your legs are happy once more. Enjoy your rest day !

J

miners said...

Mate - it's great to see your training going so well.

I'm afraid I probably tend to side with Horrie on this one. 10kms pop up all the time - Sydney Marathon (and a Sydney Marathon when you're FIT) don't pop up quite as often.

I should be down for the 10km in October - lets both worry about PBs then