Well the rematch failed dismally, I'm not feeling up to sifting through the ashes fully at the moment so here is what I posted to Cool Running. I'll download the Garmin and do a more complete blog when the head clears a little.
I had been viewing this years race as a rematch after last year, prep had been fairly good but I managed to develop a nasty lurgy last weekend which got worse through the middle of the week. Some good drugs seemed to turn the tide and by Friday I had actually started to feel human again, just in time!
Started near the front of wave 2 and given my decent downhill running skills was well placed by the top of the stairs. About halfway down we got held up a little by some slower runners which intrigued me, as I eventually squeezed past I glanced back and despite the efforts of the guy to try and hide his bib it was clearly a blue bib, seems that a few people had walked down the track a little and dived in after the first wave went through!
Anyway down onto the road well placed and running easy, this continued all the way to the river, consciously reducing pace based upon heart rate feeback. Regardless I actually got to the river about 1 minute faster than last year.
The plan was to take it easy up Mini Mini and so I was unconcerned about people going past as I wanted quite a bit in the tank for Pluvi and Black Range. Near the top of Mini Mini Action and Spud went past. Going down the other side I struggled to stretch out again and Miss Gazelle zoomed past on the downhill (certainly not a turtle!). Had a good refuel at the aid station and moved off, but the lower calves were twinging a little. Through here Tux blasted past as I think one of the first wave 3 runners.
Got to the bottom of Pluvi and I was now obviously moving slower than most others and all of a sudden felt very drained. Papa and then Amjan went past, got to the first aid station and sat down for a sec to try and regain some energy and drank some more water. It was a real battle to finally get to the next aid station and I literally felt like I had nothing left whatsoever. Sat down on a stump again trying to pep up but things just went downhill. A few minuted later Mr G arrived and did a great job at trying to pep me up to get going (thanks mate!) but I knew I was not going anywhere, in fact the firies sat me down in a proper seat and then I started to get the shakes and noticed my hands had started to go numb. They quickly wrapped me in a space blanket and plied me with snakes, coke and water. The next half hour saw me sitting there shivering under a space blanket on a warm day, watching most of the field go through
Eventually I started to come good and after various discussions with the firies at the station and also on the radio I opted to walk up to the top of pluvi to make it easier for them to get me out. I actually felt ok by then but knew it would not be sensible to continue.
Very embarrassing to be driven out along black range feeling ok while watching the runners battle the track and heat. Obviously my body had not recovered enough from the lurgy. The good thing is the legs did not get absolutely hammered and are just a little tender today.
Finaly got dropped to the finish and watched the rest of the field come in. Many, many great performances out there already mentioned from both Cool Runners and also Striders (mixed loyalties!). In particular Fats, Don Juan, Tux (lurking nicely!), Papa, Amjan, Psychoma and Bernie G. Not to mention Uncle Dave's great return! But really anyone who finished, especially on a tough and warm/hot day is a legend.
Special thanks to the firies from Blaxland station who looked after me, halfway up Pluvio and Terry(?) who drove me back. Well done to Kevin on another great race, I'll be back for sure next year, even though it is 2-0, I'll just have to make it the best of 5
14 comments:
Comisserations Dave. I hope you come back next year. I would like to run with El Presidente in 2007. At least you saved the legs for Canberra is one good point. Cheers.
So sorry Dave. I'm looking forward to seeing the rematch next year
Look after yourself over the next few days and I'm sure you'll bounce back with a great run at Canberra
Better luck next time Dave. I'm sure all the running around airports with interstate travel didn't help your preparations either. I reckon you'll be fired up next year though.
Get better and fit for Canberra mate.
Bad luck about Saturday Dave. After all the hard work you put into your preparation, it wasn't to be. You showed great dignity after the race to get down there and congratulate everybody. You are a champion mate and I'll be putting my money on you next year.
It must seem like an aweful lot of preparation for nothing. With Canberra just four weeks away though just imagine how strong you will be by then without that lurgy!
I was so sorry to hear you had to pull out Dave. Bloody lurgies, they do tend to hang around and come back to haunt you.
Hope you get well soon.
Looking forward to catching up in Canberra. You will reap revenge on that one for sure.
Dude, I'm sorry you didn't make it through, I'm sure you will next time. That's what happens when you have kids, they incubate lurgies then pass the new stronger strain onto their parents and various friends & rellies. Happy Birthday by the way for Sunday. Hope that you got some nice pressies.
Sorry Saturday didn't work out for you Dave. I'm sure you'll make up for it in Canberra.
Gutsy effort Dave!!! What can you do about a dreaded flu... next year! Sorry I had to take my foot out of my mouth after I asked you how you had gone... not what you want to hear after a hard day at the office! Look after yourself!
It was really distressing to finally trawl through all the 6F reports in the last couple of days looking to see how you'd gone for the big rematch. Sorry it didn't work out for you Dave - but everyone's entitled to a bad day (Lord knows I've had a few!), lurgy-related or otherwise.
Hope the next few weeks see you prepare well for Canberra, and that we get to catch up at a few Striders races, C2S etc...
... and as Flake mentioned, it looks like we could make up a formidable trio in 2007 if you're happy for me to tag along with the 2 of you :)
Hey Dave - enough has been said about your run - what really impressed me was how well you behaved afterwards - there was no "teddy throwing out of the cot" episodes from you - you could not have been anymore gracious or generous with your praise of all around you - I dips me lid ;-)
You probably don't need to analyse bad luck and a mongrel course too closely.
I usually focus on the process and not the result when it goes pear-shaped. Live to fight another day.
Good luck for Canberra.
Next year it'll be 2-1 Dave.
I hope everything goes well in the next couple of weeks. One good sign - it felt really cool this morning (at last).
Post a Comment