Finally my schedule falls into place to be able to run in my first Cool Running 5km challenge. Once a month it is organised and run over a flat course around the bay accurately measured by Action.
Now I know that my 5km pb is pretty soft since I broke it in the first 5km of the Arizona half with a time of 19:51. This run is a self seeding, self timing run and you put yourself in a group that you feel comfortable in, I chose 19 minutes as I was pretty confident that I'd drop my time down quite a bit. Also in my group were Cool Runners Horrie, Superflake, Blue Dog and Luke Skyrunner running with his son in the pram!
Somehow I managed to find myself at the front when we were given the word to go, pretty soon Blue Dog went past, he was on a mission to break 19 and using his garmin to pace him there. We got to the 1km mark and the split was 3:32! Yet again I'm out too fast! Try to ease up a little and run smoothly but somehow manage to miss the 2km marker. By the time we got to 3km Superflake had just gone past me and the lap for the 2km was 7:50, so still going ok. Luke and the pram went by, followed by Horrie as we ran towards km 4 and my split was 4:05. Now I felt like I was running on the spot as I paid for that fast start. Ended up with a 4:18 last km and even though the numbers above don't add up finished with 19:50, a PB by one second.
Not happy Jan, should have done much better than that but that is the problem with poor pacing. Oh well there is always next month for redemption!
That also ends the week, a so-so in terms of getting up and doing the running when I should but I covered well. 66km for the week and the Parrot Predictor is showing as a 3:11:11 marathon time.
1 comment:
hey, a pb, by any other name, would still smell as...erm...sweaty?
good show, all the same!
Post a Comment