Thursday, January 06, 2005

Where was I....

Ok a little slack in updating, spent my available time doing my turn at the blog review.

Monday
Rest day but went into the podiatrist to try and sort out my blistering heels. Can't say I'm still happy after the session, they patched up the wear spots on the shoes and dropped the heels of the inserts slightly but it seems no magic bullet.

Tuesday
Was going to do intervals down at Rotary but it was raining so decided to treadmill it out at lunchtime. Not a good session, my heels were already sore after my warm up and while I started of well for 1km reps @ 3:40 pace it just was not going to happen. Knocked out just over 3 reps, had a 1km recovery jog and then tried again but only finished up with 4km. Not sure why, maybe Sunday took more out than I thought, anyway my heels were now severly sore and painful to even walk in. It seems the patches they put in were now putting more pressure on my hot spots.

Wednesday
Summer Series time again and this was another tough one, starting at Tunks Park and covering Northbridge through Naremburn and Cammeray, lots of ups and downs. For those with a copy of the map here was my route choice
First the controls on the flat at Tunks Park 12, 13, 2, 11, 3, 18
Then up the REALLY steep climb under the suspension bridge 19 and then stupidly across the bridge to 5 which did not seem to be there, back to 20, 27, 28, down to 23 (steep up again)
29, 6, 30, 9, 16, 8, 7, 17 and then already out of time and down to finish through 21.

Back, just over 4 minutes late so lost 50 points. Net score will depend on the verdict on control 5. With 5 included its 360, without control 5 it's 350. Top score was a pretty low 450 when I left so around 80 points towards the pointscore.

Boring I know but experimented with a different taping on the heels which failed miserably and thus earned a very nice/nasty blood blister on my lhs heel this time.

Thursday
Recovery run time, decided to do it at lunch time from work, running across the bridge, down the cahill, around the Opera House to Lady Mac's chair and the back. Very warm but did 10km in around 48 min, not too bad for recovery. Another new approach to taping seemed to ensure a neutral result, still sore while running and afterwards but at least no more blistering.

Where to from here??
I'm hoping on a plane to the US on Saturday morning for work stuff and when I found out that the annual "Arizona Rock N Roll" marathon and half marathon was being held in Phoenix on the Sunday I thought what a better way to break the jet lag than race the half!

I was going to do a fast short hit out tomorrow morning but may now decide to rest my feet and try to let them heal a little. In case I do week to date is 56km and Parrot predictor says 3.34.38.

Not sure how often I'll be updating while on the move but I'll certainly slip in a race report from the half where I hope to break 90 minutes. I need to do this really if I am at all going to be able to crack 3hours for the big one!

5 comments:

J'Og said...

hey! i'll be running the 1/2 in arizona this weekend too! give me a holler if you want to hook up for a pre-race dinner or something. i'll have my mobile with me, as well as my laptop. 949.981.7240

Unknown said...

Dave, you lucky thing! Hopping on a plane....nothing like it for excitement! Have a safe & good trip & especially enjoy the half marathon in Arizona. LL

PS : Why do you have such trouble with bisters?

Spud said...

Awesome Dave, I've heard about the Arizona marathon.
Have a great race mate!

Dave said...

Wow, heaps of comments!

Jeff, I've sent you an email, will try and catch up hopefully sometime Saturday or before the race on Sunday.

LL, not excited yet but will be once I get to the airport. Travelling for work so much I've found tends to dampen the excitement about hoping on a plane.
I wish I knew why blisters all of a sudden, last year I had no problems. I think part of the problem is that once I blistered on the heel and the dry skin peeled off the skin underneath is a little more tender and sensitive. I've just got to manage my way out of it but it is awfully frustrating.

Spud, have a great race at B2H too!

Horrie said...

Good luck in Arizona Dave. Hope you have a wonderful experience. Will look forward to hearing about it when you get back.