Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Now thats a set of intervals!

After the debacle from my Yasso 800's last week I've been in serious thought about my intervals sessions and why/what I'm doing.

After reading up on some of the CR threads and also what others are/have done I came to realise that I needed to structure my sessions with a little more planning. I was trying to run too fast for too long too quickly!

Stepping back I'm aiming to have 2 sessions, one of longer intervals, say 1km/800m at around 10km race pace and then the other more of a speed session, say 400's, 30/30's at 3km-5km race pace or faster.

So this afternoon back to the gym and treadmill but set it up for 3:55 min/km pace rather than the 3:40 pace I have had. The difference being that I needed to do more intervals at this slower pace! The result being that I managed 8 full reps and then another half at this pace with 1:55 standing rest. Had to pull the pin as I was sweating so much I wa starting to slip on the belt, but in reality was pretty much toast anyway.

So I think that I should be able to knock out 10 of these (which in itself is a good sign for my sub 40min 10km goal). From there increase the pace and then wait until I get 10 reps out again at the new pace.

So a lot happier after today, a good workout!

2 comments:

Superflake said...

Good to see you recovered from the Yasso blowout of last week. Hope you get to the sub 40 10k soon Dave.

Horrie said...

Nice to see you finish the interval session in one piece. You will be able to build the pace up once your body becomes use to these sessions. Remember that training consistently and remaining injury is the key to improvement. I'm sure that you will smash through the 40 minute barrier sooner rather than later.