Monday, February 07, 2005

Berowra Big Dipper STaR

A nice drive up to Berowra for Kevin's Big Dipper. A slightly smaller turnout, but still a lot of runners. Opted for the 6:10 group and we set off. A few familiar faces missing with Horrie in hospital and Superflake Melbourne bound. However still a number of the usuals with CR's MrG, Blue Dog and Spud, Striders Barry and Peter. Also some new faces with Kev's wife Dawn, Warwick Selby, Jonathon Worswick (I think) and a few others so the pack had a real 6 foot flavour. Right from the start it was take no prisoners and everyone seemed pretty determined to hold a very good pace. I could really feel the effects of yesterdays 10km and to be honest was not feeling real flash. So after around 9km @ 4:53 pace I just slid off the back, I wanted to run 30km and there was no way I could do that the way I was feeling.

At around the same time we entered the bush and so the pack quickly was out of sight and I was by myself. Still not feeling real good I just focussed on where my feet weer going (it was quite rocky underfoot).Caught up to the walkers and then Elf who was having some problems with her feet (PF I found out later). Also around here my GPS packed it in, forgot to change the batteries. A little further on the track turned into singletrail and was a little more uneven with lots of little ups and downs. Went past Amjan and Psychoma here and shortly after on the descent to Berowra Waters Ferry the guns, of Guzzo, Uncle Dave and a Truscott (??) went past.

It seems I was not that far behind the 6:10 group as Warwick Selby was running up the hill as I came out of the bush and I could hear the others above him. Anyway did a quick drink stop and tightened the shoes (drenched with sweat yet again) and took off up the hill. I have fond memories of the climb out of Berowra Waters as I rode through there many times when I was cycling. To my surprise I felt really good on the climb, the slope seemed to suit me and I was going at a decent pace. There were lots of runners ahead and I picked them off one by one with only Highway Man going past me.

Another quick water stop and also had a Gu at the top before doing some in and out (and also up and down) bush sections to the North of Berowra. Again solo running, passing different runners every so often and only had a couple more catch up to me at around 27km as wecame to the last bush section. Ran this bit with sawdust and Jaap before they left me on the hill, a steady climb up to the finish and done. Really surprised the bulk of the 6:20 group did not catch me.

The stats 30km (by the map) in 2:56:32 for an average pace of 5:53. Avg HR was 155. In comparing times at the end I was pretty happy with my effort, especially running solo most of the way. A real good workout built upon some fatigue from the 10km race.

Got home, had a shower and then popped up to the hospital to see Horrie. We had a great chat about a lot of different running stuff, I think he was please to have some company, his room did not even have a tv or radio.

3 comments:

Superflake said...

Looks like a good hitout for 6Ft training. And then t0 back up this weekend with the x country equalizer as well.
Great going Dave.

Kevin said...

Definitely it wasn't jonathan worswick, but likely "phil", a pommie still, and Dawn's sometimes training partner. Later on the Truscott was Chris Truscott I believe.

Dave said...

Thanks Kev,

It was a bit bewildering with quite a few new faces in the group on Sunday. Also since I don't really get to see the real fast people it has been difficult to put faces to names which is what I like to do, especially doing the Striders results.