Another Wednesday rolls around and this time it is a little different.
Firstly I introduced a recovery run this morning, nothing major just around 5km @ 5 min/km pace to shake the legs out from yesterday. But another step up in overall weekly distance and also introduces a little fatigue for tonights run.
This map is a good challenge, especially for first timers as they have to deal with the old Gladesville Mental Hospital grounds and the large (ie unclimbable) walls that surround it as the course weaves in and out. A slight advantage for me this week as I set a course using part of the map back in October so I walked over most of the map.
Opted to head west first and get the points which were more road based before dealing with the hospital grounds. So a bit of bush first with 4 & 13, uphill to 24, back down to 12 and then more bush with 23 and then along the water to 11. Now some good open ground running with 1, 21 22, 2 and 3 in quick succession. A nice break with an unmapped lane shortcut to 15 and downhill to the hospital. At this point I had just hit 22 minutes (or half way).
Tricky stuff in the grounds, lots of buildings but also dead ends etc. 6 is easy, around a few buildings to 14. First route selection mistake as I head downhill to 26 (should have picked it up on the way back). Then back uphill (see what I mean) to 16, around to 6 and then over the fence and along Victoria Rd to 27. Route choice here and I head to 10 for 10 points (in hindsight probably a mistake for the distance). Down and across for 29 and then homeward bound with a run around the wall for 28, a difficult route to 8 and down to 17. A short diversion in the bush to 7 and then sprint home via 25 to finish. Here is the route:
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmbray/Bedlam%20Point.jpg
The tally 500 points less 40 for my usual lateness = 460. Best score when I left was 530 so a pretty good result, about 4th overall. Looks like I also keep my overall 4th place in Open Men as I narrowly beat the 5th guy again. It will be down to the wire as only 3 points separate us. He is so much a faster runner than me (did 36:xx in the 10km on Saturday vs my 41:38) so it's only my navigation and route selection skills keeping me in front.
Total distance 9.2km in 48:55 (avg pace 5:18 min/km).
Recovery run tomorrow.
1 comment:
I feel like a rest day just from reading that session, Dave! Enjoy it, you've certainly earned it! LL
Post a Comment