I wonder how many Hills songs/phrases I can use for my hill rep sessions.
In alignment with my review of other interval work today I approached the hill reps slightly differently. Firstly, finally managed to get out in the morning for a change, although it was made easier by my wife giving me a big nudge. She has had enough of the alarm going off, waking her and me not getting up.
Extending the concept of what I did with the 1km and 500m reps I deliberately went a little slower today. In thinking back my hill rep sessions have blown out because of the cardiovascular overload first rather than the legs. Today I wanted to hurt the legs before the lungs gave out.
As a result I did 11 reps today, and man the last 2 or 3 the lactic was really kicking in, which then worked the lungs more as well.
So 11 reps @ average of 1:33 with average 1:52 jog back down/recovery.
Last week the session was 7 @ 1:29 and 1:59 recovery, so I think the change had the desired effect. Legs also seemed to be carrying a bit from the Saturday/Sunday efforts. Hopefully this change will improve my hill running, a bit too early to assess at the Equaliser but by next Lane Cove 10km I want to be able to maintain the pace more on the hills without sufferering from the effort towards the end.
All in all, I'm pretty happy with my progress, February/March were always going to be harder as I picked up the efforts and I still need to remind myself that I am really only 2 months into proper training from a low base towards the end of last year. It seems no one is interested in doing the Metrogaine with me which is a pity, I would have enjoyed the 6 hours down near the Georges River.
1 comment:
Way to go - hill reps are bloody tough!!
Post a Comment