Saturday, February 05, 2005

Striders 10km @ Lane Cove

Time to return to the 10km series for another year and first up we have Lane Cove. I will not lie, my true hope was to lower my PB down around 40 minutes. To do this I needed to not go out too hard and try and run an even pace, with something hopefully left to kick home with.

A massive crowd which I thought was going to be around 300, it as it turns out was just over.

Things were looking good with fractionaly under 4 min splits for km 1&2. At around the 2km mark Superflake went by, looking very relaxed. Luke Skyrunner and pram were lurking just behind me as well. The 3rd km includes the climb and descent of Scribbly Gums hill, but my split was ok, keeping me just ahead of even pace. At around the 4km mark there is a little rise before dropping down to the creek and then the climb up to Ryde Road, still well on target here but the pram cruised past.

As I started up the climb Horrie went by and while it was tempting to try and keep up I decided to keep some in the bank for the run home. The 5km split was a 4:30 and so now it was at 20:30, with a some climbing still to do and then the run back. Picked up the pace down the hill which limited my hill climb losses with a 4:10 but now I needed to post 3:50 pace for the last 4km. Another 4:15 split and now 40 was just a dream again as I slogged home. The last hill at around 2.5km to go slowed me a little further but in general I was running 4:15's the rest of the way. I could see I was gaining on Horrie and with around 500m to go went past, asked him if he was ok ( he was looking a little erratic) and he said yes.

Finished with 41:38 (unofficial) which it turns out was a 19 second PB for the course, so something positive. Splits were :
1 3:57 3:57
2 3:58 7:55
3 4:01 11:56
4 4:04 16:01
5 4:30 20:31
6 4:11 24:42
7 4:15 28:57
8 4:15 33:11
9 4:22 37:33
10 4:05 41:38

Average HR of 174

I am now seriously rethinking my planned tilt at 3 hours for Canberra, in my mind if I can't run 10km in 40 then 42.2 in 3 hours is maybe not achieveable. Final decision will be based upon performance at SMC 25km coming up.

After finishing I turned around to check on Horrie and he had not come in, someone had already gone back to find him and was helping him along, as they got close to the line it was obvious he was not very healthy. I'll leave it to him to post the details, if he remembers, but for a little while there his condition was a little concerning.

Anyway, end of the week and I logged 67km and the "Famous" Parrot Predictor says 3:18 for a marathon.

Hydrating and resting up now for Kevin's Berowra Big Dipper which looks like a very trying 30km.

1 comment:

Superflake said...

Well done on the PB dave. You are right it is hard when someone goes past not to chase after them and just run your own race.