Time for a benchmark test against last year and also to really celebrate my 2nd year of running. I did the City to Surf in 2003 with a mate, I thought I was pretty fit then having done some Orienteering for a while and even run a Striders 10km race or 2 earlier in the year. But my first C2S was an eye opener, running in 74:34 and absolutely knackered (barely able to walk the next day). To make it worse, my mate who was not running at all (but mountain biking) beat me by 4 minutes. At that point I resolved to get fitter and around 6 weeks later joined the Striders MTG with Canberra as the goal.
Last year, after slacking off through winter I posted 61:37 while on the upswing of training again. So this year I was already 2 minutes faster over 10km at around the same time so 59:xx seemed logical but 58:xx would be better.
Lobbed up to the line aroun 7:45am and there were a few of the crowd there already. Settled in with MPHaz, Podrunner, Mohammed, Tesso, Blue Dog, Minersrun, Dash Incredible Uncle Dave (robin) and RunningWolf (spiderman)(I know I've missed others but memory is shot). Not too chilly and varied between standing and sitting to avoid seizing up too much. They rolled the preferred runners in about 10m in front of us and then as a group we then rolled further forward behind the seeded runners. By then I was mingling with the preferred runners and only 5m from the front!
They stuffed around with the start procedure and then without any warning we had started! The first 100m was a little chaotic but then I got into some clear space. Staying on the right hand side meant the right tunnel, the lead pack went left. I felt a little uncomfortable through here, probably partly from no warm up and partly from not being able to clear the bladder before the start. After the tunnel a few lunatics hurdled the barriers to join the left hand stream which I think provided no benefit, one guy turned and darted right in front of me just about colliding with me and coping a few choice words.
Caught up to Dash Incredible going up Edgecliffe hill (he took off very quickly) and had a few Striders who are faster then me also come through including 26miles and Kanagra who I found out afterwards had a fall early. Settled down into a steady pace, partly fueled by adrenaline. Through the next couple of km I ran just behind a few Striders who again I normally am a little further away from. The 5km split according to Garmin was 20:01, a little bit faster than planned and I knew HBH might hurt if I used too much too early so eased up a little through Rose Bay to recompose for the climb.
The climb was not too bad Sarge went past a 2nd time (had stopped off for a nature break) and then also MikeF near the top. I held onto Mike for a little while but slipped a little near the drinks stop. Around here Tuttle I think caught up to me just at the turn south but that was the end of the upslope and I opened up the legs on the downslope. Through the 10km mark in 42:26 which was close to my expectations. The turns and undulations through here I had forgotten about and I obviously slowed a little (after looking at splits).
Then it was time for downhill, I am a little disappointed as to how I went here, normally passing a few more people than I did so the body was probably a little stretched. Noticed today that the hammies were very tight but the quads were very fresh, interesting to contrast against the Sutherland to Surf with the opposite feeling.
As I was coming down into Bondi and past the CR cheersquad (thanks guys!) I caught up to RunningWolf in his spiderman suit and then it was on for young and old over that tough last km. I knew I had sub 60 in the bag and was an outside chance for breaking 59. Rounded the hairpin and opened up the legs, about 200m later I realised I had gone too soon and fellow Strider Mark S went past, exactly the same as last year! Somehow managed to keep some sort of pace going and watching the clock, pretty sure that it just ticked over 59 as I went underneath but kept sprinting to the first empty time gate and got given a 58:57 time slip, happy days. Then remembered to hit the stopwatch which showed 59:10.
So a 2:40 pb and a very happy chappy. 2 PB's in 2 weeks and all off a base with minimal speedwork. Also very happy that the suspect achilles pain did not surface and so back into the proper schedule this week. Somehow I had it in my head that Willy to Billy was on Sunday but it's on Saturday so a shuffle of the schedule likely. Only 4 weeks to go and I know there is some pretty intense sessions coming up to sharpen that base up for Sydney.
Stats
14km in 58:57 (avg pace 4:13 and avg HR 176)
6 comments:
Dave, just think what you'll be doing with some structured speedwork behind you!
Great run, well run!
Keep an eye on the achilles leading up to Sydney!
You must be thrilled with the progress you've made since c2s 2003. Congratulations and I hope the achilles behaves for Sydney.
TA
Congratulations on another great PB Dave and good luck in the next 4 weeks. The pom poms will be back out in 4 weeks time! J
Great to see you smash through the 60 minute barrier Dave. It's always good to see hard work and consistent training rewarded. Now we've just got to curb that enthusiasm for Sydney and I'm sure another PB will be achieved. Well run mate!
What a run!!! Big congrats Dave!
Looks like you are peaking just at the right time - can't wait to see what you can do in Sydney in a few weeks.
I'm impressed - a great run. You've improved so much since your first C2S. Well done.
Post a Comment