Saturday, August 06, 2005

Race report Lane Cove 10km

Up with the sparrows and it is bloody cold, with a frost on the windscreen. Driving down to the park the temp sensor in the car reads 2 degrees. The light is getting better but it was hard to set up the timing system with gloves on. After fiddling around for a while with the new setup it was time for a quick warmup. I decided to run with the green lycra t-shirt I got from the US a while ago under the Striders singlet, along with Kathmandu polypro gloves and the CR cap.

I had decided before the race to try and run close to 4:05 pace with a goal of getting to 5km in around 20:25 and see what happens coming home. In the past I have gone close to this at 5km but always struggled home downhill and dropped off the pace.

The first few km were at a steady pace and coming down from Scribbly's I caught MikeF which was a tad surprising. Kept the pace going to the bottom of the hill. Rather than busting a boiler on the hill I decided to try and tempo run up and keep a little in reserve. A few went past here, including MikeF. After turning at the top I opened up and pretty much passed everyone back again.

I settled into a small group or runners including Danielle, MikeF, John VY and another female Strider that seemed familiar but I could not place. I usually did not run with these guys in a 10km race. Coming back at different points each of us was a little stronger and surged a little. I had stopped looking at the splits, just focussing on form and breathing. The last hill (at about 1.5km) slowed me up a little and Danielle L pulled away with John VY.

As we hit the 1km mark the unknown female strider drew up next to me and said, lets go, it's a fast last km. I could not match her but managed to stay in contact. MikeF then cruised past and gave me some encoragement, he certainly has better baseline speed than I do. I held the female strider in check but could not close the gap. Sprinted to the line and with no race clock really had no idea as to what time I really did.

After regaining somewhat normal breathing the garmin said 40:28 which mean around a 45 second PB!!!

I found out afterwards that the unknown strider was Jenny W, one of our best females over longer distances and obviously on the comeback after a recent child birth.

Splits were

1km 3:56 3:56
2km 4:01 7:57
3km 4:02 11:59
4km 4:03 16:02
5km 4:25 20:27
6km 4:01 24:28
7km 4:01 28:29
8km 4:00 32:29
9km 4:10 36:39
10km 3:49 40:28

Finally a significant improvement on the 10km time, very encouraging given that I have been doing mostly base work with not much speed. Makes thinking interesting for the City to Surf next week.

3 comments:

Horrie said...

Great run Dave. You're getting closer to that 40 minute barrier. Hope I don't put the mocker on you but I reckon you're a certainty to go sub 60 in C2S.

miners said...

Great run there Dave - speed's getting quicker and quicker all the time. Best of luck at C2S

Superflake said...

Excellent run Dave. The sub 40 is sure to go at North Head next month. Shows all the hard work you have put in for a good Sydney Marathon is paying off. I'll see you at C2S.