Time to up the ante on how fast my legs can go. After building the base for the last 6 to 8 weeks attention now swings to VO2 type training rather than aerobic. After the CR5km challenge on Saturday it was obvious the ability for top line speed over shorter distances has declined.
After last week's 1km rep session which was only so so in terms of previous efforts today called for 500m reps. I decided to back off the pace a little with the goal of doing 10 x 500 @ 3:30 min/km pace. This was a tad slower than efforts earlier in the year where I did 8 x 500 @ 3:25.
I had forgotten how intense these 500m reps were, the last few really made me work and I had to cut short the 10th and last rep as I was sure I was just about to chuck.
Pretty happy to knock this over, hopefully will have an effect on the coming races in the next few weeks. Coupled with warmup/down (6km @ 5:00) a good session. Longer run tomorrow again.
1 comment:
Gday Dave
Just catching up on blogs. Probably like yourself I have a love hate relationship with intervals, I love what they do for my running, I just hate doing them!
Your program sounds really sorted, you will definitely get some major benefit from your base, I always figure there is no point being able to run fast if you cant go the distance.
Nice to see you on sat & thanks for your kind words.
Post a Comment