Thursday, December 02, 2004

Back to Summer Series

After the success on Sunday of running the STaR and a couple of cautious days of recovery I thought it was time to do some Summer Series again. This week had the added advantage of being run in the same area that we also did the STaR in.

A bloody hot day in Sydney had me concerned but as I was getting ready to leave I noticed on the harbour that the southerly had arrived and so a much cooler run than it could have been.

A quick review of the map and decided to opt out of running down to the long trail that we finished up with on Sunday and rather stick to collecting the rest of the controls that were mostly street based. Of course, in a brain spasm, just before I started I thought I saw a way of getting some of the trail based points without running the entire length.

Off to number 12 first and immediately lost a couple of minutes looking under different rock ledges which were not all marked. Down the poorly marked track and went straight past 20 without seeing it, but was not too worried about that as I knew I was coming back that way. 29 and 7 were pretty easy and 20 was easier to find going up than coming down. A nice little climb then out to the streets, once I got to some reasonable pace it was obvious that I was not going to be able to collect all of the controls I had planned for. Up to 25 and then downhill to 24 and 18. A nasty climb up 2 sets of stairs to 6 and some nice flatter running past 16 and down near where the STaR started at 13. Saw a few people coming the other way and took a little too much time looking for 21, which seemed to be mapped a little incorrectly. Opted to not do more bush and cut out 2, climbing out on the oval for 26. Some good fast running with a heap of points between 27 and 23 in not much time. Probably then went the wrong way aiming for 30 with (yet) another climb and then flat out back to the finish getting in just under 3 minutes late. In hindsight I should have left 30 and picked up 14 & 8 (and maybe even 17) with a flatter run.

Here is the map and my course

http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmbray/twocreeks.jpg

Ended up with 440 points less 30 for the late 3 minutes. Distance was 7.3km, average pace of 6:29 min/km, quite a bit of that chewed up at #12 and then some of the slower bush running and those nasty hills!

It seems a lot went the trail option and so got back badly late and for a while 410 points was top of the leader board until one of the "guns" Julian Dent somehow managed 550! He is in another league though and has placed very highly in several world championship events. When I left no one else had broken 500 and 440 seemed to be the next highest score so I think I faired pretty well.

Slight tightness around the hip/abs and so iced up when I got home, having a rest day rather than even a recovery run. Will run tomorrow though probably some sort of interval type session.

No comments: