The final Summer Series hit out at Balmoral, this course was tough last year with quite a bit of shuffling up and down the different streets and paths on the Balmoral Slopes. Last year I climbed early, went too far north and thus ran out of time badly so this time I decided to do the flat stuff out first and then come back, thus having a down hill run to the finish, but also a whole heap of shorter routes back to the finish if I was running late. Here is a copy of the map with my route
http://www.users.bigpond.com/dmbray/balmoral.jpg
Very happy with the run and on a much more demanding course than last week, only real choice was when I got to 11 and still had 4 minutes up my sleeve so opted to pick up 15, otherwise I would have been back around 2 minutes early!
Ended up 1:45 late, losing 20 points, so 15 did not make a difference. Overall scored 520 less the 20 late penalty gives 500. Again keeping the leaders in sight with one score at 580 and then a 530, 520 and 510. Gives me 86 points in the yearly point score.
To contrast against last year I did pretty much the same route in reverse and finished with 350 points as I was back so late. I'll attribute most of the improvement to my fitness but I am also getting better at route selection and "spiking" the controls.
Running stats
7.6km in 46.46 gives an average pace of 6.11 min/km.
Pretty knackered at the end of it, those hills were tough!
No comments:
Post a Comment