Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Beyond The Black Stump

After the horrendous heat of New Years Day it was very gratifying to wake up to the sound of rain and much cooler temperatures. Bolted down some breakfast and then drove up to Berowra, drinking an Endura Opti to finalise the fuel tank top up. Quite a crowd assembled and after the usual group photo opportunity we were off. Running through the streets of Berowra was fun, on the way to the start of the bush. As we were climbing up a smallish hill I noticed fluid running down my legs, Jan who was running just behind me pointed out that my Camelbak (not the new one, but the older and bigger backpack) seemed to have sprung a major leak! I quickly pulled the pack off trying to determine what was wrong but by then it was obvious that most of the fluid was already gone. Up ahead was a concealed but easy to find hiding place so I got my keys, cash and Gu from the pack and then abandoned it. Now I was to rely upon the water stops, especially the ones that Kevin the organiser had put out in the bush.

Quickly recovered from that and settled into a steady pace on the downhill into the bush, catching up to Dawn and running with her and another guy (also called Dave?). Near the first up hill stretch another guy caught us and I let the three of them stretch away from me a little here. On the downhill I quickly caught Dawn again and went past but the 2 other guys were clear. Made a bit of a nav slip up which saw Dawn go back past and so I again caught and overtook her. Running along Berowra Creek now towards the ferry and I saw that we would not make it and so stopped to tie my lace that had just come undone and ran to the ferry load point with Dawn, stopping to have a good drink of water. It had taken 51 minutes to get to the ferry.

Twelve and a half minutes later we were on the other side of the creek, accompanied by Jim Cryer and Jan Herman who had caught us while waiting to board the ferry. Immediately our group stretched out on the 3km climb up towards Arcadia, with Dawn flying up the hill and myself just managing to keep her in sight. I caught her at the top of the hill, as she was not sure on the right turnoff, and we ran together to Kevin's first drink drop, which was very welcome now given the circumstances. On the downhill run to the castle ruins I pulled away from Dawn and we started to see the runners from the first ferry, returning up the hill on their journey back. I got to the ruins, had a quick look at the view, touched the wall and logged my time as 1:53, turning to climb back.

The climb was actually not too bad and saw the third ferry load of runners near the steepest section as they still heaeded out. Another refreshing stop at teh drinks station and then accelerated down the hill. I picked up the pace a little harder when I saw a wave of cars from the ferry which helped me to calculate that it would be a close thing for me arriving when the ferry was next back. A good thing too, as I rounded the corner it had just docked and was unloading cars. Dave, the guy I had run with quite a deal earlier was also waiting. As the ferry was just about to depart Dawn sprinted down the hill and just made it on. So this time it was only a five minute break as the ferry crossed back over, so I took the opportunity to have my Gu.

The others took off when we landed but I needed to drink some water to accompany the gu and so by the time I was running they were out of sight. This section of the run turned out to be the hardest of the lot. A very steep climb up from the creek, with some small ladders drilled into the sandstone and lots of steps. A bit of a shock for the legs after the downhill sprint I had just finished! It was also necessary to concentrate as the path was difficult to determine in places. Finally I got to the top, only to be rewarded with a descent down to a creek and then another climb! This one more brutal seemingly than the last. Through here I twice had to stop and relocate the path as it weaved it's way sometimes between rock faces and without that many markings.

Finally I made it to the top again and was rewarded with some flat terrain and shortly after the turnoff back to civilisation. Once again Kevin's drink drop was a very welcome sight and just as I was finishing another runner (from the next ferry) loomed into view so I headed off. The trail to the road was pretty good and then it was bitumen all the way back. A couple of small rises early on and the efforts of the previous climbs started to show and the guy that I saw at he drinks drop went past. Once on level ground it was time to grind it out to the finish, through the streets of Berowra and I eventually arrived back at the start in 3:53:07!

Had a good chat with the others already there as it started to drizzle with rain again. Got changed into some dry (and non smelly clothes) and drank another Endura Opti while cheering in some of the other runners. Eventually leaving to go and retrieve the leaing Camelbak. Upon examination there was no tear, the hose had simply become detached from the bladder, will have to see how to avoid that in the future. I clearly felt dehydrated and stopped at a servo for a couple of bottles of Powerade to drink during the drive home.



Stats
Total Distance : 32.8km
Running Distance : 32.1km (less ferry crossings)
Total Time : 3:57:07
Running Time : 3:35:23 (again less ferry waiting/crossing)
Average pace : 6:43 min/km

The last couple of days caught up with me and I crashed for an hour or 2 when I got home and even after all the drinking to rehydrate was about 1kg lighter than normal. Wore the skins through the rest of the day and overnight and the legs have pulled up pretty well, although today is now designated a rest day.

Summer Series tomorrow night at Dee Why, time to renew my duel with Seagull over what is usually a tough course with lots of route options.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like a fun day at the office ;-)

Looking forward to joining in the fun next year.

R2B said...

Sorry i never got to meet you at the socialgaine i wasn't expecting to see any cool runners there!
I wrote my account of the Rogaine on my Blog and even left a photo.
I love this Rogaine stuff and can't wait for the metrogaine next month!
Cheers and happy new year!
R2B

Katie said...

Great run Dave!! Better than sunday ;-)
Enjoy your rest day... well deserved!

Horrie said...

You are putting a lot of quality runs back to back Dave. They should hold you in good stead as you continue the buildup to 6 Foot Track.

Gnscon said...

I think you're cheating a bit there Dave, you have to include Ferry times. Thus average pace was 7:13.