Back out to Smithfield for a benchmark test over a good testing half course. My parents joined me today, after staying overnight and thy went for a walk on the course while we raced.
Another good turnout, and while still humid, it was overcast and thankfully not much wind. Out at a decent pace, taking advantage of the water bags to keep hydrated in a controlled fashion. I started to haul a few people in from in front, one was fellow Strider, running incognito (and also less his former flowing hair) David Martin. I caught him near the 5km mark and we then tussled for the next 10km. As I caught him he put in a surge like a startled rabbit and then I had another grind of a km or so before the same happened again.
Going up through "the loop hill" just after 10km Barry caught me (as per our usual race form) but this time I held with him, dropping David and catching and dropping another in the process. Near the final turnaround for the final time Barry had slowly stretched away to about a 20m gap but we had caught another runner by here as well.
On the way back up the hill I noticed that my right shoe suddenly became loose (shoelace undone!). Persevering for about 100m I decided I had to stop as it was becoming very loose and I did not want to self inflict an injury! The previously passed runner went by as I quickly tightened and tied the offending lace and set off in pursuit of the 2 guys in front.
Despite giving my all, I was not able to haul them back in but made good inroads finishing strongly and semi sprinting across teh line.
Distance : 21.1km (of course!)
Time : 1:32:48
Avg Pace : 4:25
Avg HR : 168
This was a 35 second improvement over similar conditions in December and probably another 10 seconds lost in the shoe lace debacle. A pleasing run after a one day taper :) and now my second all time best half time. It seemed that I held the pace better in the back half, not as far as negative splitting but less of a decline and the stats below confirm this.
Splits against last month
5km 21:48 21:37 (a little slower!)
10km 22:14 21:21 (slower still!)
15km 22:17 22:49 (thats better)
20km 22:32 22:56 (and that includes the lace retie)
6 comments:
As you can see David I've managed to visit your site and read about your run this morning. Many thanks for a great time at your place.
Dad
Great run Dave!!! on one day taper and a few tough runs this week... ohhh imagine what fresh legs will do :-)
Another good solid run today Dave. You will reap the benefits of all this training come 'The Revenge of the 6 Foot Track'.
92min half - you gotta be happy with that Dave - well done mate :-)
Great run Dave. Considering your PB is from an Arizona winter. By SMH that PB is definitely going to fall. Keep the training going!
Wow Great day out for the whole family!
An excellent result for this hot weather and with only one day taper!!!
You deserve a rest day today Dave :)
Post a Comment