Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Summer Series Dee Why

Thankfully another slightly cooler evening after trekking up the penninsula to Dee Why. This map is always interesting with the lagoon to the north and some killer hills to the south and a hard to navigate trail east along the cliff faces on the coast. To also make life interesting the setter had followed recent trends with clusters of controls which meant challenging route selection to minimise some of the gaps between these clusters.

It's always a good measure as to how difficult the course has been set by the time it takes to try and determine optimum routes. I discarded the controls to the north as there was no easy loop. Headed off westwards picking up 2 and 22 and then quite a long cruise uphill to the cluster of 9, 17, 18, 30 and 7. Back down hill to the other lagoon for 10 and 27. Bypassing 26 and straight to 16, then a tough climb up through the bush and straight back down again for 25, back up for 14 and then along the bush track to pop back out on the streets, a slight downhill for 28 and then in and out to 29. I had decided not to run the tricky trail along the coast, prefering the faster street running and hoping to make up more points at the other end.

Down into Dee Why for 15 and 5, then along the beachfront for some tough sand running. Time was running out but I opted for 4 and 20 to then return via 1 to thr finish. Believe it or not but the only control I stumbled on was 1.... cost me about 30 seconds which hurt as I was tripped over into just over 4 minutes late.




Stats
Distance : 9km
Time : 48:04
Avg Pace : 5:20
Avg HR : 171

Fairly happy with route selection and the way that I ran. The legs have pulled up well with the rest day after the three tough days in a row.

4 comments:

Spud said...

Nice one Dave, what was your points total?

Dave said...

Thanks spud, I think the points total was around 360, top score on the day seemed to be 460, that was Andrew Hill who is looking very fast.....

Louise said...

hey Dave, that's my old stomping ground! (not that I did much stomping in Sydney). I lived in Dee Why for 3 years, and used to do the clifftops and beach. My old flat is within your loop.

Katie said...

These sound like tough runs dave :-) It was a much nicer evening for running though! Do you have to navigate and run fast... too hard haha