7 weeks to go to Six Foot
After the somewhat disappointing week last week I decided to start this week with a bang. This Sunday's STaR was the Chatswood Chase and I have done portions of this run several times, given it pretty much goes past my front door and also starts at the LCNP weir, where most of my runs take me!
Today I decided to try and get some extra time on the legs and opted to run to the start than driving, this was a nice downhill warmup of 3.5km. Another massive 6am group headed off and as 6:10 rolled around some familiar (Action, Redback, MikeF, Gefjam, Professor, Blue Dog) and new faces (sfGnome) headed out up the 10km course. At the top of the hill we meandered back through North Ryde, past home and then across Lane Cove River, climbing Mowbray Rd to Chatswood. Followed some of the sub arterial roads to eventually end up running next to the railway line headed north. The roller coaster hills from Lindfield to Gordon really sapped the legs as they appeared with monotonous regularity. Finally a break as we cruised down a pleasant downhill bush track all the way to Lady Game Drive, a final climb and another nice descent back to Lane Cove National Park.
A bit of a top up on drinks and some jelly beans, a quick chat with a few people and then I headed off to run home, now remembering that the pleasant 3.5km downhill warmup was now a 3.5km uphill slog in the intensifying sun! Finally home and I did some stretches etc on the verandah, absolutely dripping sweat for at least 20 minutes. Hopped on the scales and was 73.2kg, certainly dehydrated. A cold shower finally fixed the sweat and heat as I then drove the family up to the Central Coast for a combined birthday lunch (excellent Nasi Goreng!) and then over to Wamberal for a great refreshing swim before heading home.
Somewhat perplexing to me is the fact that the various niggles I had been experiencing while evident at the start of the run have now gone away! I have had this happen a few times now and cannot provide a good reason as to why it happens....
Stats
Distance : 37km
Time : 3:21:21
Avg Pace : 5:26 min/km
Avg HR : 164
A very pleasing "time on the legs" run and already more climb in this one run than all of last week. Also in other news the Six Foot entry form has been submitted and I have also booked the accommodation. I'm really looking forward to this, more so know as my dad is joining me for the entire weekend to spectate etc etc.
7 comments:
Hey Dave, better to start the run with niggles and they disappear than the other way around :-)
7 weeks wooohoooo!!!
What a wonderful weekend you will have with your father out there cheering you on! Way to go Dave!
I agree with Tess, best to have the niggles disappear than arrive! Don't question it at all.
However I have had the same experience that when changing from road to trail (or flat to hills) I find the niggles seem to work themselves out and disappear. Like you I have no idea why but when I start feeling them....I head for the hills.
Great way to start the week Dave. That is a very solid 37km at a good clip. Glad to see the niggles go away.
37kms- and I had a hide to whinge :-) I have to say you guys looked better than us heading up mowbray rd! Great run- 7 weeks very exciting!
What a great effort, you look in great shape at the moment. Happy to hear to your father will be there on the day. I asked my family to join me, and they flatly said no, thinking they may have to particate.
I enjoy the countdown to a big event. Very exciting.
Post a Comment