To answer Kit's question from yesterday I would say that Cox's Rd hill is certainly steeper than Lilyfield Rd, it is also a more even grade. In terms of length it is a bit longer as well, about 10-20m longer but I am going to ask Action if I can borrow his measuring wheel to get a more exact length.
Anyway onto Summer Series which was at East Lindfield this week. A well set out course (more even control distribution than last week) with some good route options. I decided not to head down onto the bush track, given the climb back out and number of available points down there. Instead sticking to more of the streetscape and cherry picking some controls at the edge of the bush when possible.
Not having my map with me the run route is better viewed below, with the running in a counter clockwise direstion.

Notice the overlapping tracks up near the right hand area, where despite knowing this area would be a challenge I still came unstuck going on a wrong track and having to climb back up to the right one, I lost more than 2 minutes here (this was control 18). Then I fell into trap of losing concentration and proceeded to run straight past the planned entry point to a 30 pointer, so in the space of 3 minutes I cost myself at least 50 points!!
A sharp run back which included some more lung/leg busting climbs and I really started to feel the effects of the hill reps in the legs finally getting back just under 2 minutes late. End score was about 430 I think with the top being 500. But Seagull had my measure again with a great run posting 480, he is on fire at the moment!!
Stats:
Distance : 8.42km
Time : 46:45
Avg pace : 5:33
Avg HR : 171
Thursday
Back to my gentle recovery run of 2 laps of North Ryde common, shins feel a bit beat up but once I got going felt sort of ok. 6.7km in 35 minutes and avg HR of 149 so just right for a recovery run.
Tomorrow I am planning to head over to MPHaz's place for a hard hill based fartlek style run trying to keep up with him and Fats should be loads of fun (read pain!). Saturday another recovery run, probably with a few strides thrown in for good measure and then out to scenic Smithfield on Sunday for the SMC series and a hit out over the half marathon, for another benchmark measurement.
3 comments:
Thanks Dave! (I was certainly happy at dinner when I did my post mortem)
I think the extra familiarity I have around Balmoral and Lindfield made the difference in bost cases. It seems to give me a little bit of extra cognitive space I need to not make the usually inevitable (for me) navigational errors.
I wont be at SSS next week, *sob*. In fact I intend to only run about 10 paces at a time during next week (and you can be sure that if I run further than that my anxiety level will be high) but I will look forward to seeing you for the next week at Lindfield (excellent!), If I keep up this form (and you keep handicaping your SSS performance with the huge k's that you do) we might be fighting for the same place in the results come 'Tarban Creek', 'hope so.
Incidently, during the striders run on Sunday I absolutly crashed (short option and all). The 7:00 group caught me and then passed me! I ended up walking the last bit. I didn't start feeling O.K. till about an hour after the run. The early pace of the 6:10a.m. group certainly came back to haunt me. It *was* humid. You must already be in very good shape if you finished that run strongly! but I guess you have to be to attempt 6 foot!
Oh, and if you want to see if I've 'still got it' (I have no idea if I do or not) and you have any interest, They will be putting the results up during the competition next week at www.corryongcup.com
Mate you are really taking this Six Foot thing seriously aren't you?
Sounds like some good sessions Dave, I have a feeling the score card is going to read 1-1 in March ;-)
Great run Dave!!
Longer and steeper- no wonder your sore! You will cruise up those hills at 6ft!
Post a Comment