Sunday, January 29, 2006

Six Foot Track Dry Run

As planned up early for the drive up to the Blue Mountains. Pretty uneventful with little traffic, swapped calls with Colin a couple of times as he was parking at Megalong Rd with the goal of meeting up at the river and running back to my car, then me dropping him back at his car. Managed to miss the turnoff to Black Range but eventually realised this and turned back, but this meant I was running a little late.

Loaded the gear up, using the 3L Camelbak but also included the mobile, a camera and first aid kit (just in case!) along with a few powerbars. The descent along Black Range was great, no one else around and only a few kangaroos to keep me company. Just as I arrived at Pluviometer I got the phone out to check how Colin was going, just as I got found it, it started ringing! So he was just leaving Megalong Rd while I was just about to begin my descent. Early on in the run down I started seeing hikers coming up and out, which was a little intriguing as it was still pretty early, much too early for anyone walking the whole way. By the time I got to the bottom it was warming up and I enjoyed the cool water of the number of creek crossings, opting to just charge across.

As I neared the start of the Mini Mini climb I saw where all the hikers were coming from as a fairly large tent was being pulled down, along with several support vehicles. I decided to take it pretty easy up to Mini Mini saddle with the large climbs back home very clear in my mind. Downwards again, spotting another runner heading up near the cattleyards and looking strong!

About 500m from the river I saw Colin coming up the hill, so we joined up and returned to the river for some water, a quick clean of the feet/shoes in the river while munching a power bar and then ready to climb!

My aim was to walk the steep sections and run when possible which seemed to be going ok. During one of these steep sections the runner I saw previously was returning obviously knew Colin so we stopped for a quick chat. It turns out it was fellow Cool Runner Chonky also out for some "sekret" training! The ascent continued, with the real steep pinches requiring a bit of effort as the sun was blazing now, with continuous sweat pouring from me. As a result the camelbak was getting a good workout. Through here we also saw a few motorbikes. A nice refreshing run down the other side of the saddle and past the now empty camping area.

At the first major creek crossing Colin stopped to clean out his shoes and I was very happy just to stand in the middle of the water enjoying the cool water. Finally we got going again and started the Pluvi climb. About halfway up I started to struggle a little and was feeling a little nauseous. Closer to the top I told Colin to go on faster if he wanted and regroup at the top. A real struggle to get there and I sat down with Colin to top up the supplies, still feeling a bit crook. He gave me a few gummi bears but when I tried to stand up I felt quite dizzy. My HR was a little high for having rested and also was getting some pins & needles in my hands.

Eventually after standing up and sitting down a few times with no change I decided we should get going again and see how I reacted. Amazingly after about 500m the sensations had gone and Colin and I ran on although a little slower. After a few km I was starting to struggle again on the uphill bits and so again I told Colin to go on as we were only about 4km from the car. Clearly I was dehydrated but it seemed the body was struggling to process the liquid I was trying to replace fast enough, thus the nausea feeling.

A bit of a shuffle with run/walk combo and eventually I hit the slight downhill to get back to the car. I immediately focussed on trying to rehydrate now that the stomach would not have to absorb and run at the same time. Fairly quickly downed about 1.5 litres, comprised of a solo, along with some remaining camelbak fluid and some cool water from the large water bottle I had packed. I also took a powerade to drink on the drive back to Colin's car. By the time we got to the highway the powerade was empty and I was getting very dry in the mouth.

Once we got back to Colins car we had a quick dip in the creek to cool down before heading home. I packed more fluid to drink on the drive home and doned the sportskins as well, also eventually stopping to get a bite to eat as I was ravenous!

By my calculation I drank about 5 litres before/during/after the run but obviously still not enough as I was till about 1.5kg under my current trend weight when I got home. I will need to think about this as while I was drinking regularly it was not enough to replace what I was sweating, but too much for the stomach to deal with. Hopefully it will not be as warm on the race day!

Important stats
Distance : 38.13km
Running time : 4:31:24
Total time : 5:22
Avg running pace : 7:07 min/km
Avg HR : 151
Climb : 1252m




Comparison to race data this year
Cox's to Pluvio - Race 1:46:02, today 1:34:33

Summary - again a lesson learned never under estimate Six Foot, I was feeling decidedly dodgy at the top of Pluviometer. I did run more of Black Range on tired legs but still need further improvement. Current thinking is to ease up a little further on the run to the river and up Mini Mini which should see me at the top of Pluviometer a bit healthier for the run home to the line. Of course not lugging a 3-4kg camelbak, a proper taper and more focussed training hill also help! Well worth the effort in retrospect and will help in making sure race day will be successful.

Despite the extra driving involved I also think this might be the best way to train on 6ft in trying to replicate race conditions. The descent to the river is a good replica of the run from the start and then all you have left is the run from deviation to the finish which is (mostly) downhill....

6 comments:

Horrie said...

Good run yesterday Dave. You certainly gave it a good bash. We can all hope that it is a bit cooler on race day. And you won't have to be lugging the 3km camelbak. Are you still planning on doing the Metrograine 2 weeks before?

Katie said...

Good effort Dave! 5 hrs is a long day at the office! It was such a hot day too!

2P said...

Fantastic day out Dave - I'm glad I didn't go :-) I only managed an average of 7.27 on the relatively whimpy Quarry Rd!

Your strategy is well thought out and it must be pleasing to have run up to Pluvi faster in training yesterday lugging the Camelbak than you did on race day last year. Well done mate!

I too have been thinking about hydration - think the one mistake I made last year was in not taking sports drink early enough and I have been experimenting with nutrition (one of the main reasons I did the 12 hour) - given how much you were sweating - I wonder how much of your symptoms were due to dehydration and how much to electrolyte loss? Probably a bit of both.

I'm planning the last of my 'sekret' bits for the 19th of Feb up there....

Gnscon said...

Clearly I was dehydrated but it seemed the body was struggling to process the liquid I was trying to replace fast enough, thus the nausea feeling.

I would be very interested if you find a solution for this. I was out there yesterday sweating buckets and felt thirsty but any liquid I was putting into the stomach was staying in the stomach. It just wasn't being processed fast enough.

Clairie said...

Hi Dave,

My immediate thought is that you need more electrolytes.
Water is simply not sufficient on those hot, long days.

Here in Brissy we drink electrolyte the day before a big run to ensure we are 'water loaded' and then obviously during the run. This assists with replacing the sweat salts. We also drink water but if you can only stomach a small bit of fluid it is best to be electrolyte on a hot long run.

Spud said...

For what it's worth I suffered the day I went up there too Dave. The return from the Cox to Megalong road was a slog. I had enough water, it was just so damned hot. Race day will be better mate, no camelbak, lots of aid stations and a good taper leading into it.
Great training though. Did you notice how loose the terrain on the final climb up Pluvi was, loose stone and gravel?