Friday, January 13, 2006

Smashed

A common school of thought is if you want to get better then train with better runners. I kept on repeating that to myself today as I joined MPHaz and Fats for a hilly tempo run. There were supposed to be a couple of others there a little more my speed but they withdrew and so here I am heading out with 2 sub 3 hr marathoners on a hilly tempo run with already semi dead legs!

Quite an overcast morning and seemingly high humidity as a light drizzle accompanied us. MPHaz has a nice route laid out from his place with a bit of everything as we wheeled around West Lindfield, crossing Lady Game Drive and getting in some trail running on the Eastern Side of Lane Cove National Park. The guys were cruising while I was making an effort to keep the pace and so they were chatting away madly while all I could do was heavy breathing!

Then we turned back from the park and ran up an absolute bugger of a hill, which stretched on for about a km all the way from Lady Game Drive up to the Pacific Highway. I don't know about these faster guys, they seemed to want to rest at the top while I just pressed on!

Then after a more gentle continuing climb a nice downhill stretch to open the lungs before a couple of nasty pinches, the final one being very demoralising as you actually run past where you started and keep on going up the hill and around the corner!

End stats
Distance : 13km
Time : 1:06:50
Avg pace : 5:07
Avg HR : 172 (yes it was a tough run!)

Looking back through the log for this week I'm close to 70km and other than the recovery run yesterday it has been all pretty hard stuff (with lots of hills). I'm sitting at work trying to complete a big document but am pretty knackered, the glutes are certainly not used to this sort of punishment. Well I hope the old saying about what doesn't kill you makes you stronger is true.

So a "recovery" run tomorrow to round out the week, I doubt that I will include any strides now and then the half out at SMC before another big week.

Oh and just in case anyone did not read between the lines, the reason why they wanted to rest at the top of the big hill was because I was dragging the chain. Pretty hard going though, they get some respite/recovery but then start running as soon as I catch up :)

7 comments:

Bennyr said...

Gee Dave, my lungs hurt just reading that.

Rest up and I'll see you Sunday!

Cheers,
Ben

Katie said...

Good on you Dave!! You know what they say.. to run faster you have to run faster! That sounds like a really tough run... you need a sleep not a report! Work really does get in the way :-)

Good luck for Sunday!

Tesso said...

Man, that sounds like one tough workout! How thoughtful of the guys to let you join in with them ;-)

Good luck at SMC on Sunday. Should seem a breeze after this run.

Superflake said...

Gotta run with the guns at some stage. 5min pace is pretty damn good on that terrain anyway. Good luck with the half at SMC.

Unknown said...

It is a true, ORunner, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger...I'm living proof of it! Tough run just the same!

Wobbly man said...

Great run mate! Your average heart rate tells the story! Well done.

Horrie said...

Great run Dave. You are right by saying that to get better, you have to run with better runners. If you keep heading out with them weekly, you will be flying at 6 Foot. See you at SMC.