Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Self Diagnosis

Did some research online yesterday in regards to mu glute "problem". The more I read the more it seemed to come down to a couple of potentials.

1. Sciatic nerve pain from being pinched by piriformis

2. Iliopsoas Tendonitis

The first seemed more likely and so I focussed on that and found some better stretches. Then I got a last minute appointment with my physio and got him to investigate option 1 as well. As it happens the piriformis was very tight, he showed me an even better stretch! After some painful stretching and also trying to loosen my middle back on the rhs (apparently pulling the left around) I was very sore and so popped a Naprosen with dinner and did ice.

Up this morning and touch wood the glute pain had vanished!! So headed out for a slightly longer run, still tight from yesterdays physio session but appreciable difference in comfort during running. Ended up doing just short of 15km in just under 1:10 (avg pace 4:48 min/km and avg HR 168).

Also got the physio to look at the rh foot which is still semi sore, he thinks some tendinosis and so some ultra sound and electrical stimulation. Apparently the best thing to repair it is actually massage of the shin muscle to stimulate blood flow to the tendon. Iced the foot last night but it was still in the background today.

Have to say I am sooooo much happier now that it seems the glute problem is sorted, I'll keep doing my core exercises regardless. Now to sort out the rh foot but in the meantime I've got a program to follow!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Woohoo - sounds like O Runner is back. Glad the see that the blahs have lifted and that you are feeling positive once more. Now, on to Sydney...