Saturday, January 28, 2006

Weekly recap

Monday - a scheduled rest day and made so by work with an early flight to Melbourne, followed by a late flight home

Tuesday - My wife's birthday and so with personal health and safety in mind I did not run :) Pressies in the morning and the now traditional chinese meal at the RSL around the corner.

Wednesday - Summer Series time, this week at West Lindfield, based at Fiddens Wharf Oval. The course layout gave no option other than to run one side of the track along Lane Cove River with the skill being in how much time there was to collect extra points running back through the streets before the rest of the track in returning.

I immediately stuffed up at the first control (24) running past the minor track that it was located. Then it was slow and steady along the river for 10,21,17,25 and 14 before dropping down to 22. I was considerably behind the planned schedule so picked up 1, bypassed 12 and then faster street running with 15,29,7,30,8,23 and 13. Now for some downhill with 3 and then another slip up going too low for 19, then having to bash up through the bush. Quickly to 16 and 27 then more lost time locating 11. By now I had already hit 45 minutes and the time penalty was ticking. Ran straight past 28, never seeing it and realised when I hit the small creek a little further on. By now I was frustrated and so just kept going getting 20 and then 2 to finish just under 6 minutes late.

Net score of 400 and with Andrew Hill posting 560 this is not going to count in my best 12 scores of the year. I am now in overall second spot but only have a slender 8 point lead over seagull who for a change in recent times I beat this week!

8.3km in 50:56 (avg HR of 171)

Thursday
Decided to do a longer run in preference to a recovery and knocked out 14.5km from one of my standard routes. I really attacked the hills and did not have much left in the tank by the time I got home.

14.5km in 1:9:39 (2nd fastest ever over this route) gives an average of 4:48 min/km and an average HR of 165. Quite pleasing after a hard run last night.

Friday
Missed the chance to get out in the morning so fitted in a quick run down to the weir and back in the afternoon heat which knocked me around a bit.
11km in 54:02 for avg of 4:55 (HR of 163)

Saturday
I wanted to get another run in and got out early before the girls head off to Little A's. Same run as yesterday in pretty much the same time but lower avg HR of 156.

Summary
82km for the week
Avg pace of 5:14
Climb of 597m

A big day tomorrow with a punishing hit out planned over the toughest bits of 6 foot track. Starting at deviation and running back along the course towards the start, down the 2 big climbs to Cox's river. Then climbing back up and running Black Range Rd on tired legs.

5 comments:

Wobbly man said...

Thats a big week already Dave! I hope you "enjoy" your 6ft training run tomorrow - sounds like a really tough place to run.

Katie said...

Another great week Dave... an very smart move with the Birthday :-) Much appreciated I am sure!
I hope you enjoy the 6ft run.

Horrie said...

Good luck with your run tomorrow. Great idea to finish running along the Black Range on tired legs as that is what you have to do if you want a good time in the race.

Unknown said...

I'll be thinking of you, Dave! Hope there's a report to read later...having been there, I love to read about what others think of this monster of a run. I only wish I was doing it with you all on race day!

2P said...

Big week Dave - I'm looking forward to reading about your bidg day up there today - I did contempleate coming for the ride - but after my 'sekret' session up there on Friday I didn't know if my legs would go the distance.

Practice running Blacks Range on weary legs is the way to go!