A wee mental battle to shrug off the doona at 5am and head out the door to head down to today's STaR, starting between Rockdale and Botany Bay. Off we trundled at 6:10am with again everyone being very well behaved pace wise. Had a good chin wag with Horrie as we cruised along, he is on fire with PB's going left right and centre in his build up for Glasshouse.
As the 6:20 group caught us through Taren Point our pace also lifted slightly and by the time we got to Port Hacking Rd I opted for shortcut "c", joining Horrie and avoiding the hills on the back section on the route.
By the time we got to Tom Ugly's bridge I was just starting to fade and at Carrs Park I popped a gel for the run home. It did not seem to make a lot of difference as the legs really started to complain. Horrie had already sensed this, picking up my breathing pattern changing. By the time we got to Ramsgate things had got ugly and it was grind time to get home. Horrie insisted on staying with even though it felt we were now moving a tad slower than your average tortise. Finally got back to the start and I had completely depleted all the legs had to offer. Spent a bit of time chatting with one and all as the various groups drifted in. Popped the skins on when I got home and slowly perked up and as I type this, while still a little tender have actually recovered quite nicely.
Thanks to Horrie for sticking with me despite his own prep for 12 foot and Glasshouse probably warranting a harder workout at the end.
Stats
Distance 25.5km
Time 2:21:30
Avg pace 5:32
Avg HR 166
So the first step to get back on track, it can't get much more painful and ugly than today (I hope!).
4 comments:
Trust me, Horrie is used to running with much slower companions with you ;-)
Congrats on defeating that nasty doona demon. As they say, a journey of 1000 miles....Looking forward to reading about step 2
:-)
PS thanks for the idea re W2B. I might just consult the map later tonight...
Well done on starting your new beginning today Dave. I think you are being a tad hard on yourself. An average pace of 5:32 is not exactly slow. Remember, don't worry about pace for a while and just enjoy your running. The pace will take care of itself once you start running regularly again.
5:30 is right on the 6:10am pace group. Timed it well. You'll be back to form in no time dave. Keep at it.
Great work Dave getting back on the horse...I'm missing the challenge chasing you up the straight so keep going mate, you'll be back in no time! What are your plans (if any!) for the Sydney festival??
Prof
Post a Comment