Monday, June 20, 2005

Poor Mans Comrades

A Fat Ass Run that I started in last year really just to support some of the "proper" runners. This year starting in Gosford made it attractive to have another go, with more fitness but not enough to try the whole way. Also given my questionable durability it was going to be a case of see what happens with a hope to at least make it to Mooney Mooney for around 30km like a STaR.

Jogged down to the Gosford Railway Station from my parents with the 3L Camelback filled to about 2L and stashed with a couple of Power Bars. There were 9 of us starting and I was the only one not planning on running the whole way. Nice steady start running through West Gosford and then straight into it with a nasty climb the back way up to Kariong. I knew this road was steep and most of us walked quite a bit of it. Already about 3 guys pulled away into the distance. Crested the top of the hill with Graham Wye but he pulled away from me as we ran down to the highway. There is a great long stretch of road near Old Sydney Town where you can see down and then back up a big dip and there were 7 of us on this section within sight with just the leader and Tim at the rear not visible.

I really enjoyed the run down to Mooney Mooney Creek, running by myself and focussing on efficient running. I could just see a few runners headed around the corner and up the hill as I reached the bottom and crossed the bridge. Sort of the story of the whole run for me in a way. About two thirds of the way up the climb (near the olf fruit and veg stop) Kevin (& kids) and Sean had parked. Just as I was getting there Jan, Spud and Graham were heading out and since I was well stocked I decided just to keep going and try and keep them in range.

By the interchange at Calga they had disappeared again but now there was a lot more traffic with a lot of cyclists (including a few bunches) and also motorbikes on this section. As one of the bunches from Sydney cruised past someone recognised me and shouted out but I don't know who it was. Some nice little rises on this section just to keep you honest and I polished off a power bar, very happy with my pace which was around 5:40 min/km in general.

At Mount White I was just going to keep on going past the cafe but Sean waved me over. Once again I had caught up to Jan, Spud and Graham. I grabbed a bit of a power bar from Kev and then pushed on knowing the others would cruise past soon enough. By the time be got to the underpass at the freeway sure enough I was running solo again, through here my rh foot was complaining a little and now there were a lot of motorbikes going past in both directions. Once I hit the downhill section however it seemed to free up. Close to the bottom and I noticed someone catching me from behind and it did not look like Tim. Just as we arrived at Mooney Mooney it appeared it was Jan, he had made a pitstop in the bush.

Spud had already been and gone and Graham was getting ready to head out again as well. I had decided that Pie in the Sky would be a good point and so got out the mobile to call my support crew (ie Dad who was also babysitter). The battery had run flat and Kev loaned me his to organise the pick up.

Headed out just behind Jan and Graham left a little after as well so the three of us were strung out across the bridge and up the hill towards Cowan. After about 1km climbing plu appeared out of now where on his bike and rode next to Jan for a little while and then came back to me. We had a quick chat, he gave me a frog lolly which was great and then he headed back down the hill to find the others. By now Graham had dropped out of sight and I was really catching up to Jan very quickly. Just after the bridge to cross over the freeway I went straight past Jan and have to admit I felt a little guilty as I knew my run was coming to an end shortly. Up this hill I was very happy with my running and when I got to the pie in the sky was actually feeling quite good, considering I had just done 40km.

Despite Sean's encouragement to continue to Berowra I decided to finish up, my dad had already arrived to pick me up and I really had to get back and sort out the family to pack and then get back home (the wife was on a girls weekend up north).

Jan it seems was suffering quite badly with tummy problems and took quite a few more minutes before he went past. Graham must have then gone past while I was getting changed.

Given I was quite hungry dad and I had an early lunch (of pies of course) the Burgundy Beef pie in particular being very tasty. Got back to Gosford and eventually packed and sorted the kids out, leaving at around 2:30-3pm. I was planning on exiting at Berowra and following the course down to encourage those still running. However at the Hawkesbury Bridge my 2yo son, who has not been well, proceeded to vomit all over himself and everything near him. Pulled over in a safe spot to tidy him up as much as I could but there was now now way we were going to be able to do a slow drive back through Bobbin Head etc.

However Once we got on the highway I did follow the course from where it joined the highway at Bobbin Head Road and then down the back way through the lower North Shore.

Saw John (I think) walking slowly near Gordon and then Dave (unless I got him and John back the front) looking a little map challenged near Lindfield. Caught up to Spud just near Mowbray Road and gave him a bit of a cheer before headed home to sort out the kids and try and clean up the car.

Great to see that everyone finished, Spud was looking very strong when I saw him last.

My stats 39.6km according to Garmin in 3:48:47 (I did stop the watch when I stopped at Mooney Mooney). Gives me avg pace of 5:46 min/km and avg HR of 156.

I really did have a good run, some chaffing from the camelbak but today have pulled up very well with minimal soreness. Next year hopefully I'll go further again as I slowly ease my way into ultra type running. For sure I have not done such a hard run up hills since 6 ft with three major climbs each a few km long.

4 comments:

silverfox said...

Dave

I am now feeling like a bit of a sook now carrying on about the harbourside star! You are right, the reference to Bradleys Head should be Berrys Head.

A great effort to get to Mooney, in particular with your string of injuries and seeing how hampered you were last sunday. Gutsy effort Dave.

Spud said...

Well done Dave,

Nice to see a familiar face at Chatswood too. Next year all the way mate ;-)

Great effort on some mean hills!

Horrie said...

Great effort Dave. You are running yourself into good shape. Things are looking good for Sydney. I hope to join you at PMC next year.

Jen said...

Well done Dave. You will be happy to know that I, for one, am obeying the 10% rule :-) Full distance next year ?? J