Sunday, July 03, 2005

A bridge too far?

The title is a great war movie about WW2 and I'll borrow it to describe my STaR which is the Ten Bridges. This is a lap around the back of the harbour starting at Longueville and as the title suggests crosses over 10 bridges.

With all the different sport on TV, especially the start of the Tour I stayed up to watch the first stage live. Of course I caught the start of the coverage and then woke up about half an hour after it finished at some horrible hour of the morning. Limped into bed only to have the alarm go off what seemed 5 minutes later. I rolled over with all intentions of another 30 seconds with the eyelids in the down position. 30 minutes later my failsafe watch alarm (always have a backup!) went off and after some indecision I got up and madly dashed around to try and get there in time.

Thus no warm up or stretching to speak off, pretty much straight into it. Some usual suspects in the 6:10 group and the pace was initially pretty consistent. Shins were a little sore but other than that felt ok. Horrie was with us today and he seemed to be struggling a little. After the first drink break at the steps to the Harbour Bridge all of a sudden the pace picked up a little and now it was my turn to struggle.

The 6:20 group caught us at the end of the Anzac bridge, most of our group went short but I went long. Of course the pace increased further as we subconsciously tried to hang onto the 6:20 group. As we ran through the back of Annandale/Leichhardt I decided to ease up and Horrie stayed with me. By the time we got the the bay and Iron Cove Bridge I was struggling and my rh foot was starting to complain again. Used a gu at Drummoyne and then struggled towards home, knowing this run has a particularly nasty last couple of km.

Ended up shortcutting out the little Hunters Hill loop and finished with just over 27km in 2:27:30 (avg pace 5:24).

Legs feel very bashed now but rest tomorrow, I'm on holidays but the kids/wife have everything planned out for me.

No comments: