Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Lactate Threshold run revisited

The basis of this run is a total distance of 16km but 8km of that to be run at Half Marathon Pace. The last time I had this scheduled was 2 weeks ago and I could not hold the pace at Lane Cove, but also had Woodford to Glenbrook still in the legs.

With more flexibility this week in regards to training time while I'm still on holidays I decided to head down to the Bay for a more level course for this run. The plan was to park at the car park near the CR2km marker, do a short lap warmup, start the tempo portion at CR0, do the CR5km and then use the Garmin to manage the last 3km.

However the Garmin had decided to somehow drain it's batteries even though I drained them last night so a slight change of plans with now a turnaround at CR5 and run back to CR2 for the 8km tempo and use the Timex for splits. Felt pretty good warming up, as I ran towards Iron Cove Bridge I think I ran past Tiger Angel doing a PT session but it only dawned on me a bit further along.

As I went past CR0 picked up the tempo with the goal of 4:15 min/km. Towards the end of the faster paced section I felt the LHS calf/achilles getting a little tight. After a 3km warmdown did a few cautious calf stretches and headed home.

Stats overall 16km in 1:13:57. The tempo portion was 8km in 34:22 which is around 4:18 min/km pace.

A hard session, the twinge in the calf seems to have responded to self massage and ice we'll see how it is tomorrow which is scheduled as a longer day.

No comments: