Day 8...
Got into the city around 7:30, dropped the bag off and headed to the line, finding a good group of Striders and Cool Runners already there. A good deal of chatter etc, especially with Blue Dog after knocking off 12ft track yesterday. With about an hour to go Minersrun and I opted to go and use the facilities. The lines were long and indeterminable and while persisting for a while I realised that the rate that the line was moving meant I would not get back to the start so I dashed off and joined a MUCH shorter line for the facilities in Muesem station. Got back to the line just in time, phew!
The start was pretty non eventful and I was in clear running by the tunnel. I then proceeded to stalk a few fellow Striders, including FPT, Langswd, Suzanne K and Running Wolf aka Spiderman. I was pretty happy with my pace and slipped past FPT at the Rose Bay drink station. Headed up HBH I also eclipsed Spiderman and near the top Overthehill went past with some encouragement. I kept him and Langswd in sight for about 4km where Hamburgler caught me and asked if I thought we could still make 60 min. I said that we'd need to run 3 sub 4min/km in a row to do so and was probably beyond me but I told him to go for it, in the end he missed by a handful of seconds.
As we ran down the hill to Campbell Parade, past the cheer squad sans pom poms, I was valiently trying to catch Ingrid G who had also floated about 10 metres in front of me for the last couple of km, but alas the legs would just not move any faster.
At the finish I kept sprinting past the line through to an empty line and got a timing card of 60:44, my hand timed time was 60:55. Either way I am pretty happy given the recent training regime (or lack of)!
The achilles was in the background the whole run and the associated calf muscle was doing some nice spasms at various points which I hoped would not ensue in anything more and which didn't thankfully.
I then joined a heap of Striders and Cool Runners on the grassy knoll watching others finish and comparing war stories, after a while we then adjourned to the pub for some more serious rehyrdation to cap off a great day.
10 comments:
Looks like busting that 10% rule works for you Dave ;-)
Congrats on an awesome run, particularly given your work & training cirsumstances of late.
Fantastic run Dave considering recent training schedules. Congratulations.
Dave, if you managed a consistent training spell you'd be dangerous.
You obviously have heaps of natural speed, great run off crazy training.
great work dave - and what a week! i reckon you are officially 'back in the swing...' :)
Great run Dave. You are certainly on your way back in a big way. Was it only last week you were struggling towards the end of the Airport Adventure STaR? I am amazed how you have managed to improve so much in a week. Like Spud says, if you ever got some structure to your training, I would love to see what you were capable of. Well done mate.
Fantastic run Dave. Great to catch up with you at dinner, at the race, and in the toilet queues. Thanks for the Striders hospitality on the grassy knoll too :)
Thanks for a great week of reading. Well done on the run.
Good run Dave and thanks for the encouragement - we'll get 60 next time!
You had a great run - that was awesome!
With dodgy achilles, a 60+ is not bad Dave. Well done.
Post a Comment