Sunday, August 20, 2006

De Agony of De Feet!

Day 15

Up to my old stamping grounds at the Central Coast to spend some time with my parents and so in advance I contacted the
Terrigal Trotters, thus the "borrowing" of their motto. I actually ran a little with the Trotters many. many years ago when I lived at Gosford. They usually run every Saturday morning but I was hoping there might be some sort of organised run on the Sunday. As it turned out I was in luck, a much smaller turnout at 6am than I am used to as I met up with just 2 Trotters. We headed off towards Wamberal doing the introductions etc and talked up the Trotters vs Striders rivalry. They were initially planning on doing around 15km but were more than happy to extend when I mentioned I had been thinking more 20-25km :)

At around this point I noticed the pace was pretty strong and as we started talking about the City to Surf I realised why, both Wayne and Lyndon had posted 54:xx C2S times, yikes!! Anyway I hung with them as we ran out the back of Wamberal through the hills in the semi farming area near Tumbi Umbi and onto Mingara. At about 18km I was starting to feel the pinch and hoping they might stop for some water. But no we kept grinding on eventually popping out on the Entrance Rd near Bateau Bay. As we approached Wamberal I now was starting to struggle to keep pace and so I told them not to worry about waiting as I knew my way back from there.

Got back to the Terrigal car park and the legs were very toasted but that is to be expected when you are running with what would be a 6:20 Striders STaR group. Thanked Wayne and Lyndon for the run and extended an invite if they were ever down our way to join us (maybe the 6:30 group hehehehe).

Stats
Distance : 24.2km
Time : 1:56:47 (and no water stops today folks!)
Avg Pace : 4:49 min/km
Avg HR : 161

Have to say I am pretty chuffed with this run, there were a number of hills along the route and I just hung in there. Comparing this to the Airport Adventure, only 2 weeks ago which was a flatter course and I struggled big time near the end to average just over 5:30 min/km. Still very early days but I believe the consistent training is already showing some results, need to nursemaid the achilles still and it will be interesting to see how I go next Saturday at Willy to Billy as adaption should start to take hold by then.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Awesome run today Dave. Your consistency in the last 2 weeks is already paying off!

And yes, Black Stump will be fun - though I suspect I will take the shorter option ;-)

Superflake said...

Nice run today Dave. Hopefully the consistent long runs will give you a good Sydney Marathon.

miners said...

snappy run there Dave- hope you don't suffer over the next couple of days from the lack of water. Those trotters must be camels